January 22, 2010

January 22-Regina's rush hour


I think many people feel Regina's claim of having a 'rush-minute' instead of a rush-hour is a ... bunch of hooey (to put it politely.) Having lived in most major western Canadian cities, I didn't believe it either. That is, until I lived in Regina and saw it for myself.

Above is the intersection of 12th Avenue and Scarth Street. 12th Avenue is one of the four main east-west arteries in the downtown core. This photograph was taken just before 5 p.m. - the height of rush hour in Regina. NOTE: The cars along the right-hand side are parked; they are not part of that rush-hour traffic.

With the construction boom in the last few years, more people (and cars) have moved to Regina. I have heard longtime resident moan about waiting every once and a while for TWO lights to get through an intersection. They truly don't know how good they have it here in Regina.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, come on, this must have been taken on a Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, this is our rush hour. I think about 7 cars came at once after I took this photo, and then it was over.

    The busiest intersection (Albert & Victoria) usually has a one-light delay in the left-hand turning lane on weekends.

    ReplyDelete