January 03, 2010

January 3 - First Baptist Church


This church, located on the corner of Lorne Street and Victoria Avenue, has been a downtown landmark since 1912. Parishioners turned the first sod on April 10, 1911. By the time 12 months had passed, the congregation was celebrating church services inside the new building.

However, Regina's 1912 cyclone (called a tornado today) lifted the dome off the roof and caused over $12,000 damage.

For more information about the First Baptist Church of Regina, go to http://firstbap.sasktelwebsite.net/history.htm#ERLY

1 comment:

  1. Coming from a mostly Catholic country, I still find it strange to see architecture like this for churches. I do find it beautiful but I keep thinking they're civic or government buildings. I really need to do something about my synapses. ;)

    Welcome to the CDP community! I think you chose the right place to begin your blogging adventure — everyone here is so supportive, and it's probably the only reason I lasted as long as I have. Happy photoblogging!

    ReplyDelete