April 12, 2010

April 12-Canada's Flag


Another Canadian soldier died in Afghanistan over the weekend. I thought I would honour Private Todd with a shot of a Canadian flag and explain a little bit about its history.

First of all, Canada's flag is not that old. It turned 45 this year on February 15. When this design, created by George Stanley and John Matheson, was first announced, it created quite a bit of controversy. But in the end, it was adopted. I think it is one of the best designed flags in the world.

By the way...I was told growing up that each point on the flag's maple leaf represented a Canadian province and one point to represent both territories; however, according to the Wikipedia entry about the Canadian flag...this is just a myth. (I'm crushed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment